« Full Circle | Main

June 13, 2007 03:12 PM

The End Of The Road

Round the world! There is much in that sound to inspire proud feelings; but where to does all that circumnavigation conduct? Only through numberless perils to the very point whence we started. Where those that we left behind secure, were all the time before us."

-Herman Melville

ALGOMA MILLS, CANADA - An overnight bus ride from New York and a quick drive (6 hours) North of Toronto and I'm home. I rolled in yesterday afternoon just in time for a home cooked dinner with my parents.

I suppose I'll come to some conclusions over the next weeks and months as I reflect on my travels. Until then, this will be my last post. The trip is finished. A resounding success.

Now is the time for reconnecting with friends and family - to unpack the boxes and build a life for myself. I'll admit, it seems a little daunting, though I'm confident it's nothing I can't handle.

Comments

Abbey said:

WELL DONE RYAN!!! enjoy a good night's sleep in your own bed..;)

June 14, 2007 03:30 AM
Alisa said:

Welcome back Ryan. The long road is behind you now, but it's also before you. Enjoy a lovely, familiar Canadian summer!

June 14, 2007 09:45 AM
la honolulu lady said:

Melville has, within these few sentences, expressed with wisdom the mere essence of homecoming, whether it is after a three-week pause from "real life" or after a long journey as yours...

Welcome home Ryan!

June 19, 2007 10:19 AM
Dave Hartman said:

I've enjoyed following every step of this journey. Good job man.

-Hartman

June 19, 2007 12:13 PM
anita said:

Congratulations!

I have to say, I'm going to be very dissapointed that there are no more entries, I've been following your adventures since I read about your site in the gazette! All I can say is, hats off to you! I think you have enough adventurous bones in your body to wrap around the world 100 times!

June 19, 2007 04:26 PM
tommy said:

dont stay at home for too long you will get bored !!! come and see me in bolivia !!!
take care and BE LUCKY .........TOM

June 23, 2007 05:07 PM
sally said:

Welcome back home ... defintely one of the greatest adventures... im in montreal in case you ever want to take a trip - i know how travelling makes you apprehensive though... i cant believe its over... nooooooooooo

June 24, 2007 09:15 PM
Kelsey R said:

Great Job Ryan!! Must be nice to be back home! It is freat what you did and I admire you for what you did!! Hope to see you soon and have a great summer.

June 29, 2007 11:19 PM
Tina and Angel said:

Wow, Ryan! How awesome! You set a really incredible example for my little girl, that if she puts her mind to it...to anything, she can do it. And for me also. Sorry I haven't kept tabs on you the whole way, but something made me check here tonight and Viola, your done... when you publish your book, I definitely read it.
Take care and congrats again. Bet your family is sure happy your home safe and sound! Way to go!!

June 30, 2007 03:06 AM
Dallas said:

Fabulous account of an incredible journey. I have been following your blog since I wrote about it for Western's Gazette 2 years ago! I have since graduated and, coincidentally enough, am now doing my MA thesis on travel blogs.

Thank you for your wonderful storytelling.

July 8, 2007 10:37 PM
Erin Tremblay said:

Congrats! You have seen and done more on your trip (notice the singular) than most people will in their lifetime. I am envious and grateful because I wish I could be so daring and brave to partake in such a trip and I am glad you have done it already so I can learn from your experiences, both good and bad. Thank you for taking time in the middle of your crazy voyage to share it with us. Many of us have lived vicariously through you and have been inspired to go on an adventure or two of our own. Good luck with your future endeavours.

July 11, 2007 10:24 PM