« Halfway Across The Atlantic | Main | The End Of The Road »

June 10, 2007 12:32 PM

Full Circle

Statue of Liberty from QM2NEW YORK, USA - Even though it was barely 5am, the promenade deck of the Queen Mary 2 was crowded with people. A couple helicopters and more than a few coast guard boats escorted us past the Statue of Liberty and into our berth on the Brooklyn side of the East River as the skyline continued to form in in the pre-dawn mist.

It was during this spectacle that I realized with a sudden start that I'd finished; I'd completed the circumnavigation. For it was more than 20 months ago that Brian and were on the Staten Island Ferry in that very spot. Here is the photographic proof. That's it. I started traveling West and, today, arrived from the East. Around the world.

As people spilled out of the Ferry Terminal and into black limousines and yellow taxi cabs an old friend, Matt, met me this morning at the Ferry Terminal. He was the only person to arrive by bicycle. I was delighted, though it was a long walk back to his apartment in Brooklyn.

For the moment I'm sitting here in Matt's Brooklyn apartment digesting both the feast of pancakes in my belly and the last two years. I suppose that at some point today I'll make my way over to the Greyhound terminal for one last overnight bus ride. I expect that I'll be in Toronto tomorrow morning.

**The photo I've used in this post is one I took of the Statue of Liberty this morning. It's a terrible photo but for me was a great moment so I've used it anyway. It looks better if you squint.

Comments

jon said:

Congratulations ryan! I guess I'll see you tomorrow.

June 10, 2007 03:09 PM
catherine said:

Welcome Home!

June 10, 2007 06:21 PM
jeni said:

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME HOME RY!! You did it!!! All of those days in your wee little office at 1220 Richmond staring at that map, daydreaming and pondering the idea of travelling around the world has finally paid off. Way to go dollface!
Not gonna lie...it's good to have you back. Me and Toronto missed you! Congrats!!!!!!

June 10, 2007 10:43 PM
Jason said:

Congratulations Ryan. You finally did it. It took a while but you're home. I'm just glad i could be a part of it. See you soon. I'll be home in august.

June 11, 2007 12:04 AM
Garry Huang said:

Well well. What can I say but Congratulations!!! I'm glad to have met you while you were in French Polynesia. :) I could have caught you again when you were in Singapore but you went off too fast after your Singapore Sling. heh.

Anyhow, at some time in the near future, I'm going to try what you did. Wish me luck! :D

Garry Huang

June 11, 2007 09:57 AM
jen said:

woooooo... congrats ryan! enojy the settling back in!

June 11, 2007 11:42 AM
Don said:

Hey Big Ole Ry,

Welcome home!!!

Give me a shout once you get settled back in.

June 11, 2007 12:31 PM
Peripheral Friend said:

ahh - what am I supposed to read at work now?

June 11, 2007 01:51 PM
Dad and Mom said:

We are so proud of you !! Its a huge accomplishment and it will look good on a resume. The memories are yours for life! Can hardly wait to see you!! Love ya!!

June 11, 2007 06:49 PM
Ray B said:

Hey Ryan,

Welcome back man! What a tale to tell your kids one day! Congratulations! I bet you need a vacation from your vacation eh?
Take care,
Ray

June 11, 2007 07:02 PM
Martin said:

Well done, Ryan, well done! You're the pro, you're my rolemodel ;)

Good luck integrating in your own society...

June 12, 2007 04:16 PM
Tom said:

Great job Ryan. Bet you got to cross a lot of things off of your Life- to do list. Just thought I would let you know that you are still technically in Russia according to your Map. Welcome back to the starting gates!

June 12, 2007 05:35 PM
Tim Drodge said:

welcome back......now for the next adventure.....north to south!!!!

June 12, 2007 06:42 PM
Christian said:

Full circle not quite! I'm still waiting for the post from Toronto where it all began on Oct 6, 2005! I'll even settle for one from Sudbury! (no offence intended!)

June 13, 2007 10:55 AM