« Two Days. Two Trips to the Hospital | Main | Si Phan Don (4000 Islands) »

December 10, 2006 12:33 AM

Home For Christmas

VIENTIENNE, LAOS - I made a personal promise several years ago, while spending a very strange Christmas on a beach in Australia, to do my best to be home for the holiday season.

In a week's time, I'll be flying from Bangkok to Toronto for a break in my journey; A much needed resumption of my name, identity and a perfect chance to catch up with friends and family back home. I understand that this 'vacation from my vacation' poses an awkward break in continuity for theroadislife.com; something entirely permissible in life but not on a shiny Internet travelogue. In this contest life wins.

I hope that any purists out there find solace in the fact that I'll be returning to Bangkok to continue the second half of this global circumnavigation in the new year. No forward progress by air travel.

Logistically Bangkok was the most logical departure point for me, thus making the last few weeks in Laos, part of a big loop back to the point I was nearly than a month ago. In the new year, I plan to travel from Bangkok through Cambodia, Vietnam, China and beyond.

For now though, I have six days to explore as much of Vientienne, the nations capital, and the Southern provinces as I can before I need to bee-line back to Thailand. Tick. Tock.

Comments

jonathan said:

You were in my dream last night. It was raining and you borrowed my car. That's all I've got.

Have a safe trip.

December 11, 2006 10:52 AM
Don said:

Hey Ryan,

When you get back to TO, if there are any plans of a mass gathering let me know.

Safe travels.

December 11, 2006 11:32 AM
Angela said:

I promised Jon I would post to reassure you that I have been checking in with you, at least every couple of days.

Thanks for taking me far away from the office every now and then.

Looking forward to seeing you next week (sounds strange when you're halfway around the world).

December 11, 2006 03:06 PM
jeni said:

You were in my dream too last night....You were wearing a raggedy old suit that you said was made for you in Thailand for a job interview you had back at Fidelity. The sleeves and pants legs were WAY TOO SHORT for your limbs and you were freakin out. That's all I got. I guess you wouldn't have gotten the job looking like that so "Forward and Beyond" (?) whatever Buzz Lightyear says....in a nut shell, screw Fidelity and keep travelling dollface! See you in a few sleeps. Can't wait!!!

December 11, 2006 10:23 PM
Martin said:

Hey Ryan,

I'm sorry, but you weren't in my dream last night... I wish you a safe trip and a merry Christmas though.

December 12, 2006 10:20 AM
Berns said:

Ry,
You're always in my dreams..haha! Can't wait to see ya...miss you like molasses!

December 12, 2006 06:26 PM
a.raw said:

ryan, thank you for writing theroadislife. have been loving the travelogue, especially as we're originally from similar parts of northern ontario and are the same age. (i went to CASS.)

happy solstice, and i look forward to reading more of your adventures in the new year!

December 21, 2006 11:14 AM