« Charlotte Get Well Soon... | Main | A Weekend Trip to Panama City »

April 5, 2006 03:57 PM

Takin' Off - The Yacht

Takin' Off - getting ready for just thatDAVID, PANAMA - She´s a Cheoy Lee 44; that is, she was built by Cheoy Lee shipyards in Hong Kong, 1979 and is 44ft long. If you look at the picture closely, you´ll see that she is a Ketch, that is she has two masts. Her name is "Takin' Off". She´s registered in Hayman Island, Australia. Not only is she relatively long along the water, she´s hefty and sturdy as far as modern cruising yachts go. I´ve heard her described by Dominic, a British ex-pat who seems to know something about everything nautical, as 'a good boat, she could use some paint and maybe a wash.' His observation seems to be the consensus around here; that is, she´s seaworthy but a little run down and tired as far as aesthetics is concerned.

With the captain in the USA for the next 6 days, Eduardo and I, a local, have been left to tidy her up. My days are now filled with sanding, varnishing, painting and trying to source materials from a limited Panamanian market. (you can see in the posted photo that we have yet to paint the green trim on the starboard side.)

I´ve managed to convince a couple long time travelling friends to live aboard with me while the captain is away and even to help out. Caroline and Suzi are getting used to living for free on a yacht, but have also been great help.

So this is my life. Caroline, Suzi, Eduardo and myself are living (and working) on a big ol' sail boat in a very small, and backwater marina near David, Panama.

Our target date of departure is April 15th, while the trade winds are still favourable and the rainy season just starting...

Comments

Andrew McLean said:

Bon Voyage! Happy sailing

April 6, 2006 10:23 AM
Andrew Bell said:

Glade to see you are going to sea ;)

PS. Toronto people, go to the Rivoli to celebrate Ryan's departure. The band playing on the 15th will rock.

April 6, 2006 10:57 PM
Posting whore said:

I am very excited for you!! How long will you be at sea?? Does this mean that there won't be postings for a while?? I live for these postings....do you think you will be able to get a signal out there????

April 6, 2006 11:09 PM
Alisa Singh said:

Hey Ryan, I've been following your trip south quietly for some time. Thought I'd finally say hello! HULLO!! Congrats on arriving at the sailing leg of the journey. You're clearly having a blast, and I hope the posts can keep coming while you're sailing. They're a happy change of scenery for us still here in grey, rainy Toronto!

As Andrew said, Bon Voyage!

April 7, 2006 09:43 AM

The boat is equiped with VHF Radio (range: horizon), a Single Side Band Radio (range: a whole hemisphere) and two EPIRB´s (range: the world). There is no way to send email, or post to this site. The longest space of open water that we´ll be crossing between here and Australia is 3000 nautical miles. This can take upwards of 30 days or more, so there is a chance that I won´t post until then.

That is unless somebody springs for a sattelitte phone and a laptop (mine is broken).

April 7, 2006 10:43 PM