« Takin' Off - The Yacht | Main | The Countdown Continues... »

April 11, 2006 12:20 PM

A Weekend Trip to Panama City

DAVID, PANAMA - After a weekend of late nights and short days in Panama City, I´m back to the provincial capital of David; back to the quiet little backwater marina I call home. The trip to the city was essential to my mental health. With the captain in the U.S.A and Caroline and Suzi gone. I found myself instantly bored and needing a distraction. The only cure for me was to leave the boat along with its cockroaches and half finished paint jobs for the promise of some excitement in the big city.

It´s Monday now...no, wait...it´s Tuesday and for me, like most of the world, it´s back to the grind. There is a problem with the fresh water pump that needs looking at, the top deck could still use a coat of paint, and I´d better start thinking about stocking the boat with food for 3 guys and nearly 100 days at sea.

For now though, while I'm in town and running errands, I´ll be checking in for my first experience with a dentist outside of Canada. $20. I can´t go wrong. Or can I? Wish me luck.

**Charlotte is still stuck in the hospital in La Paz, Bolivia. She´s has 5 broken ribs and can´t yet walk. The unfortunate part of her situation is that the accident happened before she had a chance to meet people in Bolivia. Her core group of travelling friends are here, in Panama, and her family is in England. She´s probably tougher than I am, but it must be terribly boring for her. If you know her, call her. I can give anybody who asks the phone number. No stalkers please.

Comments

Sean said:

Which way do you go to get to Australia? Left or Right on your 'latest position' map. My guess is left...

April 11, 2006 02:29 PM
Mikey Thomson said:

Heeey Ry, hope all is well!

Did Brian make it back to Panama on the 9th? Is he back to you safe yet?

Good luck preparing, and for the coming voyage!

April 12, 2006 12:38 AM
Sally said:

Hey guys,

Coolio and I both wish you a fantastic voyage.

April 12, 2006 02:50 PM
Erin Tremblay said:

I just want to wish you a safe trip and I can't wait to hear the stories when you return to land. Be safe and have fun! Good Luck!

April 12, 2006 07:27 PM
Stalker said:

can I get Charlotte's number?

April 13, 2006 08:49 AM
Charlotte said:

Thanks Ryan for keeping people up to date on my situation!

I actually crashed on the World's Most Dangerous Road, so called cos loads of buses go off the edge and has the hightest death rate! Apparently it's safe to bike down though and most backpackers here do it but somehow i managed to crash.

I then had a hellish minibus trip to hospital along bumpy mountain roads with U2 playing - Stuck in the Moment felt very apt. It turned out i'd broken 5 ribs had to have a chest drain to get the blood out of my lungs so I spent 12 days in hospital. The first week i had visiters but then everyone i knew left La Paz so was on my own. The worst thing was my mp3 player died and my charger wouldn't work so the lack of music nearly sent me insane. It was pretty hard at times but am proud of myself for surviving it. The morphine was fun though!!

I got out yesterday and have to recuperate in La Paz for a week or so then i plan to carry on travelling despite my mum wanting me to go home and be looked after. I'm not allowed to carry a rucksack again though so i'm gonna have to dump half my stuff and get a trolly dolly wheely bag instead!

Thanks again for all the get well wishes.

PS- Feel free to come visit me Stalker

April 15, 2006 04:32 PM
Brian said:

Sean,

Left apparently is the way to go to Australia. According to Phil, we hang a right when we get out of this river, and then keep the rising sun in our faces; turning port or starboard if we experience heavy drops in the temperature - indicating the artic or antartic circle draws near.

Also, when I was in Sudbury, I attempted to contact you, but such attempts obviously failed.

April 16, 2006 01:58 PM
Kelly said:

Hey Brian and Ryan!

I finally got the post card you guys sent. Thank you! It was nice to get something in the mail other than bills. I just might have to make another donation. ;)
Hope you guys enjoy the sailing. As a sailor myself, I know you guys will have a blast.

Take care, be safe.