« My flight home ... and why it's not cheating.... | Main | New Plan: Guatemala to Panama by bicycle »

December 22, 2005 11:22 AM

Luggage Revisited

Clothes to Bring Around the World

Personal possessions either break or disappear on a pretty steady basis if your name happens to be Ryan Henderson or Brian O'Neill. (Willie's track record thus far has been impeccable). I know, stuff breaks and gets lost no matter who you are, but our attrition rate is sky-high, something we can't keep up with now that neither of us is actuallyGadgets and Stuff - To Bring Around the World earning money. Ahh but such is life; nothing stays the same. Never. I understand and accept it for the most part, and truth be told, no single item I'm travelling with is irreplaceable. Prohibitively expensive; Yes, but not irreplaceable.

As the money in my bank account continues to race toward that point on the horizon where everything converges on nothing, I can't help but dwell, at least a little, on the stuff I've left behind, broken or otherwise lost:

While my electronic world is collapsing, I'm reminded of some wise, and taunting, words by everybody's favorite existentialist Henry Thoreau:

It is desirable that a man be clad so simply that he can lay his hands on himself in the dark, and that he live in all respects so compactly and preparedly, that, if an enemy take the town, he can, like the old philosopher, walk out the gate empty-handed without anxiety.

-Henry David Thoreau

Brian hasn't fared any better, he is currently travelling without pants and inisits that a monkey ran off with them sometime during all the confusion on the night we slept in the jungle near Pelenque. This is frustrating for him mostly because all the flip-flops/sandals that come within a metre of his feet explode. He has only leather dress shoes and giant hiking boots to go with his shorts. He's on a constant quest to buy sandals or flip flops that fit him; Size 13 shoes among a Mayan population that must average 5'5" tall are hard to come by.

I'm reminded of our time in Livingstone on the Caribbean coast. He was optimistic at finding footwear to fit him there because the population of Livingston is Garifuna rather than Mayan (a.k.a taller and presumably with bigger feet). He bought the only size 13 shoes in town; A pair of "4X4" branded shower-shoes. They lasted nearly a whole week before blowing out on the mean streets of Antigua week.

Comments

Jonathan said:

Thanks for the update on all your stuff. My day is complete.

December 22, 2005 02:58 PM

hmm.. you're right.

I must be bored.

December 22, 2005 04:27 PM
Jonathan said:

Looks like it's just you and me.

December 23, 2005 08:38 AM
Tom said:

Hey Ry,

First off, I hope santa replaces some of, if not all of your lost stuff.

Secondly Jennifer and I are heading to T.O on January 4th because we are flying to cuba on the 5th. If you need a ride, just let me know and it will be there for you. Email me at fensketom@hotmail.com.

If not, maybe we will meet up in the airport.

December 23, 2005 09:39 AM
Jonathan said:

...and Tom.

December 23, 2005 10:38 AM
Pamela and Lenea said:

Yo Brian, do you have an address or postal box where we can send you some goodies? And by goodies we mean pants and shoes. Some people consider these necessities.

We will be happy to provide you with some oh-so fashionable items. Let us know.

December 23, 2005 10:54 PM

If you can figure out how to get them to me, I can bring them down for him... I'm sure the two of you can pick out some beauts!

I'll be in Montreal, NYC, Sudbury, Toronto and of course Elliot Lake in the next week or so... I can find you wherever you are in any of these towns.

December 24, 2005 01:43 PM
Mer said:

I am happy to hear that someone is thinking about Brian walking around without pants!! Lets hope that come 2006 he has pants and flip flops. It's too bad that you're not in Brazil as I once worked in a flip flop and candle factory. They might have been able to sponsor your feet! I will try to find a contact there that you could use in the future in case the shoe crisis continues. Good-Luck with the bikes!
Hope you both had a Merry Holiday.

December 26, 2005 05:19 PM