« The Copper Canyon | Main | Chihuahua - Zacatecas - Guanajuato »

November 11, 2005 10:10 PM

Montezuma Exacts His Revenge

Day 36

In the year 1519 Hernan Cortez invaded what is now Mexico with 550 men, 16 horses, and 1 cannon. Less than two years later the Aztec king, Montezuma II, had been killed and the mighty Aztec kingdom was no more. After murdering the Aztec leader, many of Cortez's soldiers fell victim, not to Aztec spears, but rather an intestinal parasite during their retreat. His men believed the mysterious illness to be a curse placed on the foreigners by Motezuma himself. The curse continues to affect almost all foreign travellers to this day.

Having spent two days exploring the canyons and pine forests of Creel we felt it time to make a move. Not wanting to backtrack, the city of Chihuahua became our only logical destination. The bus ride out of the mountains to Chihuahua takes six hours to complete and would have been a pleasant journey had I not been locked in an epic battle with the Curse. There was no time for talking, reading or even watching the scenery on this trip. No, every ounce of energy was devoted to keeping the contents of my stomach actually in my stomach. Each minute seemed an eternity.

It's now one day later, and I'm pretty sure I've survived the worst of it though I certainly didn't win every battle. Less than an hour into the bus ride, I found myself wrestling with the door to the washroom on the bus only to discover that it was locked and out of order. No way. How could it be? In the hundreds of hours we've spent riding buses so far this trip, I've never once seen one that didn't work. What are the odds? Was this some kind of cruel joke? My initial horror at the discovery turned into pure terror. My stomach refused to wait. With nowhere left to turn, I was forced to leave a mess on the floor at the back of the bus. Thankfully the bus wasn't crowded and the mess was mostly water, as I'd deposited the rice pudding I'd eaten for breakfast into a pot-hole on the street moments before boarding.

This same routine repeated itself several times before making it to Chihuahua, and the safety of our hotel. A quick 18-hour nap seemed to solve most of my problems, and I feel I'm slowly putting myself back together. While it looks like Brian may have escaped unscathed it seems Caroline may be having her turn. She's currently splitting her time between the toilet bowl and her bed. We'll have to stay in Chihuahua until all parties are back up on their feet, until then Brian and I will spend some time exploring the city of Chihuahua, as far as I know, it's one of the best places in the world to buy cowboy boots.

Comments

Berns said:

Poor you Ryan! I feel for you!! Sounds like the curse is true...I should of put gravol and some immodium in your sailing survival kit (pleasure pack edition)-sorry...but remember...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!

November 12, 2005 10:18 AM
Lenea said:

You NEED cowboy boots. They are like tequila, food and water. You can't live without them.
-Lenea

November 12, 2005 04:15 PM
jeni said:

Oh No Ry!! Brutal. Sorry to hear about the 'curse' and the fact that it got ya. My sick mind has a question....did you have to take an emergency poo at the back of the bus or a pukey??!!?? Just wondering.
Glad you're feeling better!
Can't believe you've been gone for 36 days already!! WEIRD!
MISS YOU TONS!!!!!!

November 13, 2005 10:26 AM
Tom said:

Quick fix if you can find it man,

1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons sugar or rice powder
1/4 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)
1/2 baking soda
1 liter of clean water

Will help to rehydrate you without upsetting your stomach.

Now if you could only find these on a bus...

November 13, 2005 10:54 AM
Mer said:

OH Ryan - I feel terrible that someone who has been known to not deal well with puke, poop, bugs etc you threw up in a bus. I have done it too, but it was after a night of heavy drinking.
Ginger tea help with nausea just in case you the Revenge gets you again.
I would have to agree - You need to have Cowboy boots.

November 13, 2005 07:39 PM
Andy McLean said:

And I thought pictures would have made your last post better... Gotta get that camera working man.

November 14, 2005 01:01 PM

For the record it was puke in the back of the bus. Everybody´s better now and we´ve moved South... no time for a proper post now as we need to keep the red arrow moving.... check back later.

p.s. thanks for all the well wishes... I expect to have a working digital camera by the 21st. The only way it´ll happen sooner is if a spare $400 magically appears in my wallet.

November 14, 2005 01:13 PM
jonathan said:

It's nothing like a good puke and poop (grandma-sensitive word) story to renew some interest around here.

I saw Gia on the street on Saturday. She misses you.

November 14, 2005 01:47 PM
sares said:

Yikes ryan...dirty business!! Those damn tacos and curses!!!
glad you and the posse and better...no one needs that on their travels...
miss ya!!