« Living Cheap in NYC | Main | Greyhound Bus Crash in Missouri »

October 17, 2005 02:29 PM

Mexico Bound

Day 12

The ticket agent at the Port Authority Greyhound stations' initial concern morphed into a sort of excitement as he contemplated making a similar trip one day.

"One way to Mexicali, Mexico please." The simplicity in that sentence doesn't do much justice to the scope and consequence of what a one-way bus ticket across America actually involves. It took a moment for it to sink in; For him to realize exactly what a trip like this meant.

I like to try to quantify these types of things. I delight in the numbers. 4,800 km (3000 miles). At least 10 different states. 70 hours riding coach as we bump and bounce over the vast American landscape.

I think about the gleaming towers in New York and the Atlantic Ocean then I think about the forests and towns and deserts and 24-hour gas stations to the west, and eventually, somewhere out there, I can imagine the Pacific Ocean at the end of this great lump of land. Maybe we're crazy, maybe I've been reading too much Kerouac. But today we test our freedom. We've faked left but turned West on a quest for a cheaper, warmer, and slightly more exotic experience.

New York has been grand, we've played it well and yesterday even got a couple offers to sail down the East Coast. But the thought of waiting even two weeks is simply too painful for my tired old wallet. In the words of Hunter S Thompson we need to 'Keep Moving.' This change of scenery will be just what we need.

The idea is that once we cross the border to Mexicali, we'll get on a Mexican bus for another 10 hours or so to eventually arrive on the Pacific Coast to soak up some sun and maybe even eat at taco or two.

Neither of us has any real delusions about the physical and mental hardship we're about to submit ourselves to. We'll be taken to the brink. If we make it through this, we can endure any form of public transportation. Wish us luck. We leave at 10:15pm EST tonight.

Comments

Pamela said:

Good luck guys, can't wait to start reading your posts as you cross the good ol U S of A.

October 17, 2005 03:38 PM
jonathan said:

I've got some plans for a pretty sweet cardboard sombrero. We'll talk.

October 17, 2005 03:42 PM
Lee said:

Makes me think of my bronze key chain that I've had for 20 yrs that says 'I'd rather be sailing'!

October 17, 2005 04:01 PM
Lenea said:

Hey, are you going through Oklahoma?

The longest bus ride I ever embarked on was with FT from Halifax to Montreal - a mere 18 hours. Perhaps the highlight of the trip was when the busdriver got on the loudspeaker and said, "There is a bad smell on the bus. Would everyone please keep their footwear on" and Fraser leaned over and whispered "I think it's me!" For the record, it most certainly was FT.

Anyhow. Enjoy the West. I'm jealous beyond words, though maybe not so much of your bus trip.

-Lenea

October 17, 2005 09:33 PM
Jason Henderson said:

Hey ryan,

good to hear you're back on the move again. I check up on you daily and I was gettin bored of the new york comments.
If you end up crossing the pacific maybe there's a chance we'll meet up in Korea or Thailand or some other exotic destination.

and to jonathan..... Keep those comments coming, they put a smile on my face everytime i read them.

out.

October 18, 2005 12:57 AM
Erin said:

Hey Guys,

Riding in a bus for 70 hours can't be that bad. I've endured many greyhound rides from Icy Northern Ontario to Sunny FLA for swimming training camps. This trip of course lasted 30 hours (and felt like hell), but hey it was well worth it in the end!

Mexico is a nice place, just steer clear of the Leche (milk in Spanish)...I think its from goats and its definitely chunky!

Take care, looking forward to reading more posts!

-Erin

October 18, 2005 12:42 PM
Andy McLean said:

Ryan, how am I supposed to live vicariously through your website if you're going to be on a bus for the next week? You can't meet girls there.

October 18, 2005 12:59 PM
jonathan said:

girls don't ride busses?

October 18, 2005 02:18 PM
Ray Beck said:

Hey Ryan,

bring the hemoroid cream! That is a long time to be sitting on that bus. BTW...ever see Planes Trains and Automobiles? Keep a look out for the annoying kid that runs up and down the isles wearing an alien costume and shooting his plastic gun at you.

Take it easy,

ray

October 18, 2005 06:22 PM
matt said:

you cannot post to this mo'fo if you drop the word 's e x'

if you quit oppressing my speech .. i will tell you a story about the bus.

October 18, 2005 11:48 PM
jonathan said:

this website should have a message board so there can be more interaction between the people following ryan on his trip (not physically following, but emotionally via the internet).

He knows how to do it. He had it on TheRoadisLife 1.0 Beta.

So send him a comment and request a message board! Let's have some fun between updates!!

October 20, 2005 01:04 PM
Kristen said:

I agree- a message board would be a great idea. I second the suggestion.

October 20, 2005 03:51 PM
kevin said:

He should also show pictures of the hookers....

October 21, 2005 10:24 AM
Andy McLean said:

I hear Cancun is nice this time of year.

October 21, 2005 01:01 PM
Henrick said:

Don't Sailors check the weather?

October 21, 2005 01:44 PM
Tim Drodge said:

Stay the hell away from Cancun Ryan, at least until the hurricane blows through early next week.

October 21, 2005 04:50 PM