« Times Square in The Rain | Main | Bryant Park - Midtown Manhattan »

October 10, 2005 12:09 PM

Columbus Day

Day 5

As my family celebrates Thanksgiving in Canada, I'll be spending Columbus Day here in New York City moving into Hostelling International's hostel in Manhattan's Upper West Side. This will be the first time since arriving in the city that I'll be in a hostel and have booked 2 nights only, as I'm not entirely confident that living in what is supposedly the world's largest hostel will be my cup of tea.

Until now I've been staying with friends in Williamsburg (Brooklyn), playing the part of a local New Yorker and haven't yet explored the city with my tourist hat on. I expect this to change today now that Jon and Matt are headed back to Toronto and I'm moving into a hostel that'll likely be filled with other foreigners.

Brian has yet to arrive (the latest word is Tuesday), which means I'll have some time on my own to see some of those NYC must-see sites most travel guides rave about. I've got my walking shoes on, an unlimited Subway pass and some free time. Let's see what I can find.

Comments

Eric said:

Hey Ryan!!!
Make sure you check out the "Red Lion" while in NYC! Great blues/jazz/rock&roll bar at 151 Bleecker st.

October 10, 2005 01:17 PM
theinsider said:

That hostel is really quite nice, lol. I stayed there in 2002 and I really enjoyed it.

If you get a chance, go to Serendipity 3. It's a restaurant on east 60th that serves frozen hot chocolate. It's fabulous. :)

October 10, 2005 01:52 PM
Brent Coulas said:

Hey
We (Meredith, Brent, Becky) are all here and thought we would send you our best wishes. Nadia saw your photo in the Sud. Star. Kudos to you two. I heard about your plan and never thought you'd do it.
Hope that you will be able to use those leadership skills I passed on to you all those years ago when you were in my Norquay group. Be safe.
Meredith, Brent and Becky

October 10, 2005 06:19 PM
jonathan said:

Hey, go to this place called ACE Bar on 5th St between 1st and 2nd. I think they're probably the only bar in nyc with Skee Ball!.

I bet you can't beat 540!!!

October 10, 2005 10:42 PM

Nice plug Jon. For the record though, we did hit up ACE bar a couple nights ago, and the skee-ball experience was sublime. For anybody in the city looking for a good time... hit it up. And let me know if you see a score higher than 540. It'll crush Jon if it gets beat, but I'll enjoy breaking the news to him.

Frozen hot chocolate. Oxymoron if I ever heard one. I'm adding it to my to do list.

Brent, I'm putting into practice, everything you've taught me...

October 11, 2005 01:14 PM

Eric,

As soon as Brian gets here, we'll definately check it out. If you have any other suggestions, i'm open to them too, the 'what to do in New York' brochures are impossible to wade through.

October 11, 2005 06:22 PM