« La Paz | Main | Discussion Forums »

October 31, 2005 02:40 PM

Cabo San Lucas

I´d thought we´d made it out of the American border towns that seem to serve no other purpose other than to cater to those who would otherwise be underage at home. Silly me. It´s now obvious that we´ll find these parties at all tourist destinations on the ´gringo trail´ south.

Initially Cabo San Lucas had all the fixings of a real Mexican town, including dusty unpaved roads, open air barbeque's, stray animals of all sorts and not a word of English. That was until we got to the waterfront. If I didn´t know any better, I´d swear we´d landed ourselves in some sort of Mexican themed night out in Daytona Beach. Tourists of all ages were out in force. We picked El Squid Roe, not because it was any different than anything else along the strip; it wasn´t. All that set it apart was that there were people in it; it was hopping on this Sunday night.

Sombrero´s and Tequilla sloshed around to the beat of mid 90´s hip-hop as Middle-aged men in Acalpulco shirts danced violently on table tops while drunk girls were constantly being encouraged to shed their tops and ´party hard´ by a whistle blowing Mexican standing front and centre in a tall steel tower labeled ´Substitute Pimp´. Hunter S Thompson describes the Circus Circus in Las Vegas as a reflection of ´how the whole world would be spending their Saturday nights, if the Nazi´s had won the war.´ Surely the same is true for this place.

While I´d like to say we turned our noses up and left, it´s not really our style. We bought the ticket and planned to take the ride. As tequila and Jello shooters were forced down our throats and our belly´s began to warm and Squid Roe began to feel a little more normal... We made the most of it and ended up having some fun.

Comments

Jonathan said:

Ryan... somebody has hacked your site!! You couldn't have possibly posted two days in a row!

October 31, 2005 04:21 PM
Jonathan said:

(I wish they would hack the Latest Position arrow)

October 31, 2005 04:22 PM
sares said:

Ryan, i am jelloso!! and you write like such a professional...what is up with that....holy, i feel like you are a new person... but then i look at your pics and i am reassured!!! have fun dollface, miss you..and get some place cool so i can donate 10bucks!

October 31, 2005 10:23 PM
jonathan said:

THEY HACKED THE LATEST POSITION!!

...but they still forgot about oshawa from day 1.

October 31, 2005 10:32 PM

Cabo San Lucas is actually cool. It´s really not that hard to get away from the spring break crowd. We did some serious beach and mountain hiking today....

November 1, 2005 04:59 PM
Berns said:

Ryan...you sound like you are on such an adventure...and writing as you go is sooo cool! Daily, I am getting to live vicariously through you!! Just remember to always have a clean pair of undies on..especially when boarding buses..
Can't wait for the next update...Berns

November 2, 2005 09:35 PM
Margo said:

Perpick has been telling me for weeks that I just HAVE to check out your site. He keeps going on about what an amazing writer you are, and I must admit, for once he wasn't exaggerating! It sounds as though you have been successful at maintaining a high level of adventure on this excursion of yours, I wouldn’t expect anything less.
I know that I really didn’t get a chance to know you that well, but from what I do remember I am fairly sure that nobody was forcing tequila and Jello shooters down your throat...and I am certain that you didn't always avert your eyes when the ladies shed a layer or two, especially as your belly warmed!
Reagardless, Deseo de la suerte I usted con todos los recorridos continuados. (That might not even make any sense…I really don’t know Spanish). Oh ya, and if you get a chance, rumour has it Mexican wrestling matches are quite the events, and the masks are priceless. Ciao, Margo.

November 15, 2005 01:37 AM